Established in 1994, East Bay Innovations (EBI) is a non-profit organization that supports people with disabilities to live on their own, work in competitive employment settings, and become empowered to make choices, take risks, and advocate for the resources they need to live as independently as possible. With 177 full and part-time staff, EBI provides services to more than 350 individuals with autism and other developmental disabilities. Our Independent Living Services department is looking for committed individuals, who are both gifted teachers and teachable themselves, to deliver respectful, motivating, personal services that enable our clients to participate in all aspects of their community. For more information, visit our website here.
As an Independent Living Instructor, you will work one-on-one with consumers in the community in order to enable them to reach their personal goals of independence and community participation & integration. See a realistic job profile here.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support adults with autism and other developmental disabilities throughout Alameda County to learn life skills in a motivating, personalized, and professional environment.
- Empower and enable individuals to live in homes of their own and to participate in all aspects of their community.
- Independent Living Instructors support clients with:
- Money management
- Medical, dental and medication management
- Basic cooking and meal preparation
- Utilizing public transportation
- Locating affordable housing
- Obtaining and maintaining benefits such as Social Security, Medi-Cal, Medicare, etc.
- Community and social awareness
- Household maintenance
Qualifications and Skills
- Must be committed to the philosophy of individualized services, independence, and community inclusion.
- Must have excellent organizational, communication, and problem solving skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work effectively both as a team and independently.
- Must have a reliable vehicle, auto insurance and be willing to DRIVE OWN CAR (mileage reimbursement offered).
Benefits and Perks
- $16.95 per hour plus comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, paid sick and vacation (at FT), paid holidays, employer sponsored 401k, commuter benefits, Flexible Medical and Dependent Care Accounts. Ongoing paid staff training in multiple areas.
- Focus on wellness, including bi-monthly yoga classes at our main office, annual health and wellness fair and annual flu shot clinic.